Sunday, March 2, 2014

we don't like becky anymore

hello everyone, i hope you're not too mad at me for promising more scheduled posting then forgetting, then saying i would post regularly, then going back on hiatus. But I'm back now (for realzies this time.)

--













tartan
brown
red-wine
gingham
pinafores
60s inspired
velvet

Even though the Kee Boutique A/W collection is nowhere close to the aesthetic my mind is  going through right now (I’m beginning to realize that’s it’s increasingly inconvenient/dumb to confine myself to a specific aesthetic for a week or a month instead of just embracing the fluidity of human being-ness), there’s something about it that caught my attention a few days ago. (ugghh that entire sentence sounded really gross and pretentious but writing anything at all is difficult for me right now so I’ll just let it be.)


The fact that the girls are almost always shot standing side by side is one of the aspects of this collection that gives off this really elusive twitches vibe (twitches as in twin witches) (ya get it) (it’s a portmanteau)(hahaha)(grammar humour).


I think this “twitchiness” is a large part of the collection’s appeal because the last photo (the only one that captures a model by herself) does a great job of highlighting the red coat  (one of the best pieces in the collection) against red tartan but it’s singularity makes it stand out so much that’s almost in your face; and I kind of just realized that THAT WAS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF PHOTOGRAPHING THE GIRL WITH THE JACKET ALONE
 
(actual self portrait of me when I realized this.)


Another cool thing about this collection is this idyllic, peaceful image//concept of teenage girls (more on them/us in a later post) who are really mystifying in a way that no one can really figure out (see Virgin Suicides or Picnic At Hanging Rock girls) and they just have an air of mystery surrounding them that could be kind of scary (see Grady twins from the Shining)* I’m not really sure if the decision to have them wearing Converse sneakers is supposed to affect this by making them seem more “normal”.

//eta: "Amelia Mad" in the comments section said that the collection looks like something Cher would wear if she was in The Craft which is one of the truest things I've ever heard//


Remember when I said I couldn't quite figure out why the collection was so resonant with me - well, I just remembered that a few months ago- I thought of wearing a Cher Horowitz/Wednesday Addams outfit but it was like -15  degrees outside. I decided I would try to remember how to use a phone camera to take outfit photos for this post.



23
\6
\
9
\
23

It also reminds me a bit of the Scary Movie photoset by Petra Collins for Rookie. It's basically homicidal boy-crazy teenage girls on the hunt. <3 <3 <3 (you guys those hearts aren't even ironic I just love these photos THAT much!)
--
collared shirt (thrifted) gingham blouse (thrifted) velvet dress (yard sale) tights (H&M)
--
kanyinsola 
--
*Is it weird or poserish that I used the Grady twins as an example when you consider the fact that I’ve never seen or read The Shining (I’m too scared). **

** Is it weird or poserish that I would ask/care about that?

5 comments:

  1. This lookbook is perfect!x
    www.whateveryazmine.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daily scheduling is the best, I hope it helps you. And I've often thought of doing a room tour, but I think I might do one before I leave for uni, so thanks for the both the compliment and the request :)

    Also I love your outfit, the colours in the vest are great and I like the little details. And I like what you said about 'embracing the fluidity of human being-ness', I've just been commenting on another blog about that very same thing, though you expressed it in a nicer way.

    Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started scheduling a few days ago and so far it's been working really well. Thank you so much!
      x

      Delete
  3. love your outfit! I really love this lookbook especially since im a big fan of the fabrics they used here. I see what you mean how they captured the mysterious beauty of the girls. I liked the youthful touch they added with the converse. I feel like this would be Cher's wardrobe if she was in The Craft. im also a big fan of that Rookie editorial! ♥♡ (non ironic hearts).
    Styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah the fabrics are all really beautiful. And oh my gosh Clueless+The Craft would be the best thing in the world!
      x

      Delete

thank you for reading